The One with Shana & Santa
First, let me say "oh my God, isn't she cute?" I know, I know, she's my kid and I'm supposed to say that, but really - look at her! So, as you can see by the picture, we took Shana to see Santa Claus at the mall. Now, I know of some people who would gawk and think that I, as a Christian, should not expose my child to such "evils" as Santa Claus. Well, I personally never grew up believing that Santa was real (which I'm very thankful for), and I certainly don't intend to lie to my daughter and let her believe in Santa for a few years only to dash her hopes when she's older. I do believe, however, that she is going to see him over and over again and see movies with him in it and wonder who he is. I think it is perfectly harmless to teach your child that Santa is a fictional character who goes around and gives toys to boys and girls on Christmas Eve, keyword "Fictional". I will teach her the true meaning of Christmas is that Jesus came to earth as a baby to grow up and become the Savior of the world. Santa Claus to me is no different than Larry the Cucumber or Bob the Tomato. If they were at the mall, I would take Shana to see them, just like I took her to see Santa Claus. Obviously she will know that Larry & Bob are not real, cucumbers and tomatoes can not talk - and one man can not fly around the world in one night and deliver toys to every child in the world. Kids have imaginations whether we like it or not. I didn't believe Santa was real as child, but my parents (as christian parents) did not tell me that Santa was evil, that his real name was "satan" just with the letters mixed up a bit, they made sure I knew what the real meaning of Christmas was - just as I intend to do with Shana. Anyway, I would love to hear what some of you think on the issue - feel free to agree or disagree.
Anyway, I started to say that we took Shana to see Santa at the mall. She loved it! She got to hold the reindeer, which is why she is sitting looking so content. She looked right at the camera when asked, and she even gave the reindeer back without a fuss. That's my weekend so far, hope to have more to say after it's over. TTFN.

6 Comments:
hey heather,
i just wanna comment on the whole santa is evil thing. i grew up sitting on the dude's lap (cause you got a free candy cane) we knew about him, but none of use believed in him. my parents (who were not saved at the time) wanted us to know about him so we would not be social losers in the world of kidos, they told us the story and what he's all about and told us he was not real, just a story. they chose not to make a deal out of it. we were also told not to tell anyone that he was a fakeo, it was our secret. i am glad that they did that. i knew the truth, they didn't lie and i got free candy, how can one lose? ha. christian are way too uptight sometimes. anyways, enough rambling. she is one cutie. and the pic is way too sweet!
AWW...so cute! I wish we had a chance to do that with the kids. I think we have missed Santa here in town, though. I will see if he is around one more weekend!
I think Zayne would probably have a fit, though. She's afraid of lots of weird things (a laughing snowman we have totally freaks her out!).
I agree with Mel. I can't really remember what my parents told us about Santa, so obviously, either way I was not tramatized. I do know that I never ever got my picture with Santa - something I wish I had! I will tell my kids that Saint Nicholas inspired the idea of Santa, and that he WAS a real person - but not the kind we see and hear about today. My IL's got the kids a book all about Saint Nick that we will read to them someday!
AWW...so cute! I wish we had a chance to do that with the kids. I think we have missed Santa here in town, though. I will see if he is around one more weekend!
I think Zayne would probably have a fit, though. She's afraid of lots of weird things (a laughing snowman we have totally freaks her out!).
I agree with Mel. I can't really remember what my parents told us about Santa, so obviously, either way I was not tramatized. I do know that I never ever got my picture with Santa - something I wish I had! I will tell my kids that Saint Nicholas inspired the idea of Santa, and that he WAS a real person - but not the kind we see and hear about today. My IL's got the kids a book all about Saint Nick that we will read to them someday!
cute pic...i must say, i did infact grow up believing in santa claus...i also believe everything i see on tv, so when my parents finally told me he was not real, i didn't believe them because i had just watched miracle on 24th street...you know (the one wiht the REAL santa). Anyway, it took some convincing me, but I can stand proudly before you now and say, I know the truth. However i must add, that after 4 years of taking santa photos in the mall with screaming children, rude parents, broken printers/computers/cameras and for the first time ever, having to fire santa, i'm starting to agree with this satan theory you mentioned. LOL - okay, i'm joking...not satan, but one of his really annoying little helpers at least. Again, joking. I think it's cool that Shana gets to grow up knowing the real meaning of Christmas! alicia
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BOB AND LARRY ARENT REAL????
Wow, thanks for destroying me so close to christmas!! LOL!
Just joking and hey, you do have one cute chica on your hands there! make sure you post a pic of her in her little Christmas outfit! Speaking of jolly old St. Nick i think we are taking the boys tonight to get their pic...have a feeling Tyson won't sit as nice as Shana...Even with a raindeer!
hey...is there any coincidence that santa's suit is red? I think not! seriously cute baby though...i love her a lot...little beebsie beebs...
Post a Comment
<< Home